Imagine a street with you and all your closest competitors on it. And on the face of it, all things are equal between you and those competitors.
And walking down this street are 100 ideal, curious customers who are stopping and asking each of you what you do, and what makes you unique across all the others. (It’s no longer place or price, because those things are negated.)
And your only way to entice them in to experience it for themselves is the impact of your message.
What would you say?
What Makes You Unique
You don’t need to imagine. That street is the internet/social media/instant messaging/your daily in person conversations. And those customers are the humans you’ve collected on your adventures to date. Your most loyal customers. Your biggest fans. Your favourite contacts. Even your closest friends.
They share your values. Because your work is already an expression of WHO you are. The key to having more of those people around you, helping you, paying you, and shouting from the rooftops about you is connecting with them in the first place.
And that is simply a case of understanding:
- What makes you unique.
- How to communicate that.
I’ll tell you now:
What makes your business unique is not what you do. It’s how you do it.
And how you do things is driven by who you are. What’s been part of you for as long as you can remember? What are the behaviours you always default back to? What drives you? What’s in your DNA? You’re always going to come back to these approaches to your work. Whether you like it or not, your characteristics and values are already interwoven into the fabric of your business.
It’s now a case of communicating these characteristics to attract more of those customers who share your values — those customers you work best with.
Here are 15 unique approaches to business for you to consider. Which describe you and your business most powerfully?
15 Ways to Powerfully Express the Uniqueness of Your Business
- You’re the best.
- You are the one who raises the bar.
- You work best with those who value quality.
- You’re the best value.
- You are the one who provides sustainability.
- You work best with those who value value.
- You’re the most expensive.
- You are the one who creates aspiration.
- You work best with those who value luxury.
- You’re the most connected.
- You are the one who opens doors.
- You work best with those who value relationships.
- You’re the first.
- You are the one who paves the way.
- You work best with those who value innovation.
- You’re the best example.
- You are the one who does it well.
- You work best with those who value leadership.
- You’re the most experienced.
- You are the one who can see what’s coming.
- You work best with those who value insight.
- You’re the most meaningful.
- You are the one who understands them.
- You work best with those who value connection.
- You’re the best teacher.
- You are the one who communicates it powerfully.
- You work best with those who value guidance.
- You’re the most fun.
- You are the one who creates an experience.
- You work best with those who value enjoyment.
- You’re the most driven.
- You are the one who makes it happen.
- You work best with those who value achievement.
- You’re the most consistent.
- You are the one who always delivers.
- You work best with those who value dependability.
- You’re the most organised.
- You are the one who keeps them on track.
- You work best with those who value accountability.
- You’re the most straightforward.
- You are the one who cuts to the truth.
- You work best with those who value challenge.
- You’re the most unusual.
- You are the one who defies the norm.
- You work best with those who value identity.
How to Create Unique and Powerful Marketing
Here’s how to create unique and powerful marketing from this list:
- Review these 15 unique approaches to business.
- Pick the three that represent you the most.
- Pull out the three words at the end of the “You work best with those who value…”
- At this point, these words should be things that you deeply value, too.
- Write down what each of these words mean to you.
- You should now have a bunch of words and ideas around that value.
- Craft your messaging around these words, ideas, and values.
- Show how your business reflects these in it’s services.
- Show how YOU reflect these in your actions.
Now, you’ll be able to entice in those curious customers through your marketing — because you understand and can communicate what makes you unique and powerful across all the others on the street, on the internet, and in the marketplace.