Do the Social Media Addiction Test
Unfortunately most of us know better but don’t do better.
In such cases, we often need more clarity when it comes to the truth. That’s why we have Apple, Google, Facebook and Instagram introducing features to make you aware of your social media and phone behavior. Whether they actually work to regulate your compulsive behavior is another story.
Rate each item on a scale of 1 (“completely disagree”) to 4 (“strongly agree”) and tally up your total score to find out.
1. I use social media like Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram or Pinterest throughout the entire day.
2. I find it important to know what happens in the lives of my social media friends.
3. I find it important to share updates about myself to others on social media.
4. I use social media when I am bored or alone.
5. I run to social media when I feel sad and insignificant.
6. I find myself using social media more and more.
7. I feel jealous when someone has a high number of likes on Instagram and Facebook.
8. I’m stressed and afraid of missing out on something important when I am not on social media.
9. When I’m with a friend and my phone rings, I pause the conversation and answer immediately.
10. My social media use has caused conflict with my friends, distracted me in class or while at work.
11. I have tried to cut back on my time on social media, but it didn’t last very long.
12. I wouldn’t know what to do with my life if it wasn’t for social media.
13. It would be terrible if social media ceases to exist.
14. When I post a photo that doesn’t get the ideal amount of likes I delete it within 24 hours.
15. I have often the feeling that my time on social media should be better spent.
16. I’m often on social media longer than I originally planned.
17. People have complained about my social media behavior.
18. I feel more comfortable expressing myself online than offline.
19. I feel negative when I compare myself to people online.
20. I become annoyed when an acquaintance doesn’t respond to a friend request for 2 days.
How You Score:
20: Congrats! You don’t base your self-worth on your social media likes, comments and shares. You’re in complete control over your social media use. You know exactly how to use social media in your advantage and don’t let it ruin your activities in life. You put yourself and your offline relationships first.
21–40: You are more a fan than an addict. You have minor problems due to social media use, you know how to use social media although it has the power to make you feel anxious sometimes. No major deal as long as you remain aware of the reasons you use social media. Focus on your self-development and relationships before social media can hold you in its grip.
41–60: Social media is interfering with your top priorities. It knows how to lure you in and it becomes harder and harder to get out of it. You might have started social media with the best intentions, but now you are mainly wasting too much time on it. You care too much about what other people think, and you use social media feedback like Facebook likes to validate yourself. It is time to reflect on your priorities and who you are. Become aware of the fact that this compulsive behavior will likely get worse if you don’t take action.
61–80: You are a certified social media addict. Social media use is causing significant problems. It prevents you from growth, fulfillment and happiness. Your self-esteem, social skills, relationships and cognitive abilities are declining. You’re missing out on opportunities in life and you are dangerously detached from who you are. It might be time for a serious intervention. In that case you may want to contact us.
What do you think of your score ? A surprise or no surprise at all?