An academic study by a specialist in financial fraud has found data to suggest that the price of cryptocurrencies was artificially inflated during the giant price hikes of late 2017. John Griffin, a finance professor at the University of Texas, and research associate Amin Shams, published research today claiming that price manipulation linked to leading exchange, Bitfinex may have been responsible for at least half of the increase in the price of cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin. Bitfinex strongly denies the allegations.
The research explored the token flow of leading exchange, Bitfinex. It examined millions of transaction records on the blockchain, to identify several distinct patterns, suggesting that someone had worked to artificially raise prices when they dropped at other exchanges. The study claims that Bitfinex’s secondary virtual currency, Tether, was used to buy other cryptocurrencies to achieve this. They suggest that half of the increase in Bitcoin’s price in 2017 is traceable to Tether being deposited in exchanges, prior to a spike. The authors say the pattern ceased when Bitfinex stopped issuing new Tether this year.
Bitfinex is a cryptocurrency trading platform, owned and operated by iFinex Inc and headquartered in Hong Kong. It has denied in the past that the exchange was involved in any manipulation. Bitfinex was subpoenaed by American regulators earlier this year.
Bitfinex CEO, JL van der Velde told Blockchain News: “Bitfinex nor Tether is, or has ever, engaged in any sort of market or price manipulation. Tether issuances cannot be used to prop up the price of Bitcoin or any other coin/token on Bitfinex.”
The researchers stress that their method is not conclusive. But it will, no doubt, lead to much speculation within the cryptocurrency community. Other academics, specialized in this field, have called the findings “credible”.
“The relationship between Tether and the price of Bitcoin has been flagged for months within the community,” said Christian Catalini, a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, speaking to the NY Times. “It is great to see academic work trying to causally assess if market manipulation is taking place.”
Speaking at the MJAC Blockchain Summit today, Coinbase UK CEO Zeeshan FerozI said he couldn’t comment on the specifics of the study but provided assurances that Coinbase had implemented checks to prevent artificial inflation.
“We monitor and try to weed out as much as we can. We have transaction monitoring that is on par with tools at NASDAQ etc. We are working today on ways to minimize on our exchange any manipulation,” he said.
Griffiths’ has expertise is helping organizations spot fraudulent activity.
“The hype in cryptocurrency isn’t just 20-year-olds buying Bitcoin in their garage — that’s part of it — but there are big players moving the market and having a huge price impact,” Griffiths said in an interview.
Additional reporting by Tim Copeland.
- Bitfinex CEO Hits Back at Fraud Expert’s Study Linking Tether to Crypto Price Manipulation – June 13, 2018
- Pundi X Moves Into Europe – June 5, 2018
- Dying for Crypto: The Ultimate ICO Publicity Stunt? – May 25, 2018
- Blockchain City Dubai Hosts Showstopping Summit, Unveils Registry to Expedite Business – May 8, 2018
- Crypto Tax: Victory for Tokenized Protest & Calls for Worldwide Reform – April 26, 2018
- Taking the Temperature at London’s Blockchain Expo 2018 – April 24, 2018
- Death Knell for Crypto in Poland? Poles Mobilze to Protest Crippling Tax Law – April 11, 2018
- Taiwan’s NOWnews Announces Plan to Launch Blockchain-Based Media Platform – April 3, 2018
- Study on 100 ICOs Identifies Social Reach, No. Of Advisors and a Raise of $10M as Key Factors for Success – April 2, 2018
- Exchange Group TMX Issues Guidance to Crypto and Blockchain Issuers – March 30, 2018
- DeepMind’s AI Pioneers Launch Fetch.ai – the World’s First Smart Ledger – March 29, 2018
- Kleros Joins Forces with Dether to Launch Decentralized Arbitration for Cryptocurrency Traders – March 26, 2018
- Future Crypto: 7 Clean Sneaks Past China’s ICO Ban – March 26, 2018
- Proxeus & Mount10 Partner to Provide Military-Grade Storage Security – March 22, 2018
- Playboy Pounces on Blockchain, Plans Crypto Wallet – March 14, 2018
- Crypto Leaders Speak out as US Regulatory Uncertainty Around ICOs Continues – March 9, 2018
- EU Proposes Pan-European Licensing Plan for ICOs – March 8, 2018
- French Supermarket Carrefour Puts Chicken on the Blockchain Menu, More Product Lines TBA – March 7, 2018
- UK-Based Circulor Pilots Blockchain to Help BMW Source Ethical Cobalt – March 6, 2018
- Bitfury-Partner Hut 8 Mining Corp Goes Public on TSXV Exchange – March 6, 2018
- Marshall Islands Issues Own Cryptocurrency – February 28, 2018
- Litecoin Lists on Lykke Exchange – February 27, 2018
- Texas Blocks LeadInvest. Crypto Firm Used Judge’s Image – February 27, 2018
- Tezos Adds Four New Board Members – February 27, 2018
- Circle Acquires Crypto Exchange Poloniex – February 26, 2018
- New Alchemy Announces Premier ICO Networking Group NA79 – February 23, 2018
- Coinsquare Partners With Payment Solutions Provider Processing.com – February 23, 2018
- Get Paid to Watch Porn? Vice Industry Token Raises $22m in 24 hours – February 22, 2018
- Viewly Presale Sells Out, Public Sale Launches Today – February 22, 2018
- Leading Global Banks, TradeIX and R3 Pilot Blockchain Trade Finance Solution – February 22, 2018
- Chimes Media Announces Investment and Solution to SEC Uncertainty Ahead of ICO – February 22, 2018
- Atari Moves Into Blockchain and Crypto – February 20, 2018
- Cardano Foundation and Z/Yen: Threat of Quantum Computing to Blockchain Security – February 20, 2018
- COSIMO Commits $3m in Seed-Stage Funding to Crypto Startup Oneiro – February 19, 2018
- Wanchain Joins With 22 Others to Form Austin Blockchain Collective – February 16, 2018
- Mosaic: Blockchain Research Network Strives for Objectivity Via Cryptocurrency – February 15, 2018
- WELL Launches Blockchain Healthcare Platform With ICO Imminent – February 14, 2018
- ConsenSys Ventures Leads Investment into BlockFi to Bring Lending to the Cryptoasset Market – February 14, 2018
- iXledger and InsChain Partner to Provide P2P Insurance for China – February 13, 2018
- NYNJA to Launch Customizable Communications App With Blockchain-Based Marketplace and Own Cryptocurrency – February 12, 2018
- World Tokenomic Forum Launches Social Enterprise Venture Fund for Blockchain Related Technologies – February 12, 2018
- Electroneum Announces Partnership With Japanese Crypto Platform Quoine – February 12, 2018
- Is Shyft the KYC Reform We’ve Been Waiting For? Anthony Di Iorio Thinks So – February 8, 2018
- Wikipedia Competitor Everipedia Secures $30m in Funding From Galaxy Digital and Other Strategic Investors – February 8, 2018
- Ripple Partners With LianLian to Power Instant Payments to China – February 7, 2018
- Forbes: The 20 Wealthiest People in Crypto – February 7, 2018
- Current Media Closes $36m Private Sale, Readies Airdrop – February 6, 2018
- Sweetbridge Builds Dual-Token System to Increase Liquidity, Adds Don Tapscott as Advisor – February 6, 2018
- Blockchain Startup Electroneum: First Cryptocurrency to Join GSMA – February 5, 2018
- BitShares Token Listed on Lykke Exchange – February 5, 2018